Acorn Education - LITERACY TEACHER ADVISOR/INSTRUCTIONAL COACH
- Post Date:Sep 19, 2019
- Apply Before: Oct 19, 2019
- Views 94
- Application Instructions SEE BELOW
LITERACY TEACHER ADVISOR/INSTRUCTIONAL COACH
Join us on a journey towards excellence!
We strive to be the best instructional coaches in South Africa, and will accomplish this by capacitating and developing school and classroom leaders. These leaders will transform the lives of learners that consistently achieve exceptional results
Are you an exceptional language teacher who has a passion for educational transformation? Do you want to use your language skills to make a meaningful difference? Are you motivated, adaptable and resilient? Then we would love to hear from you!
More than twenty years after democracy, high performing schools in impoverished South African communities are the exception. Our aim is to change this landscape and support no-fee public schools in their journey to become excellent.
When professional development is done right, teachers feel enthused and learners in our classes achieve more. In the role of language teacher advisor/instructional coach, you will primarily be responsible for supporting teachers in your subject area with their professional development and growth. Together with your fellow teacher advisors and under the direction of the Lead Coach, you will support teachers to close the achievement gap of our learners with innovative interventions and programs- specifically targeting literacy or numeracy. All teacher advisors will receive ongoing training and mentoring in this role.
So, what is an Instructional Coach? An instructional coach is someone whose chief professional responsibility is to bring evidence-based practices into classrooms by working with teachers. Instructional coaching involves two people: the classroom teacher and the coach. Coaches work one-on-one and in small groups with teachers, providing guidance, training, and other resources as needed. Together, they focus on practical strategies for engaging learners and improving their learning. Coaches also are often responsible for providing or arranging professional development activities for all teachers in a school.
At Acorn Education, we aim to transform the lives of our learners and we do whatever it takes to make this dream a reality.
|A||Agile||Our agility allows us to adapt and respond to what is most important at a specific time to achieve our mission.|
|C||‘Can do’||Every member of our team is equipped with a “can do’ attitude – enabling us to reach our own high expectation and those of our schools, teachers and learners.|
|O||Optimistic||We believe that a grateful mindset leads to an optimistic and favourable view of life.|
|R||Resilient||Our journey will not be an easy one. We are committed to persevere despite challenges that may arise.|
|N||Nurture||Just like an acorn, if something is nurtured it has the potential to grow into something greater. We not only nurture our people but those who help our schools grow.|
The precise areas of responsibility for this post will be agreed based around your skills and the needs of the school, but it is anticipated that you will be able to:
- Lead the development of a literacy improvement strategy across our partner schools in close consultation with the Head of Education and the schools’ SMTs
- Develop, implement and support a Systemics Test preparation programme in home language across our schools for grade 3, 6 and 9
- Support the planning and delivery of our teacher professional development programme in literacy or numeracy across our schools
- Observe, provide feedback and support language teachers, heads of department and subject heads
- Develop and/or improve systems that ensure effective lesson planning and execution in your subject area
- Contribute to the development of a strong positive school culture and implement innovative learner-centred programmes
Necessary qualification criteria
- Minimum 5 years of teaching experience in a Primary or High School – specifically teaching Home Language
- Must be a South African national or possess a permanent resident permit
- Must be fluent in English and fluency in Afrikaans would be an advantage
- Must have own transport
- Experience teaching learners of various abilities and ensuring every learner grows
- Experience effectively teaching learners in classrooms of more than 20 learners per class
- Experience and evidence of raising attainment in a challenging classroom environment
- Own transport is essential
To apply interested candidates should e-mail the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Updated curriculum vitae
- 1 English Home Language Lesson Plan (any grade)
Closing date: 19 October 2019
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Should you not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.
Related Jobs (4)
Acorn Education – NUMERACY TEACHER ADVISOR/INSTRUCTIONAL COACH on Sep 19, 2019
Acorn Education – FOUNDATION PHASE INSTRUCTIONAL COACH on Sep 19, 2019
Acorn Education – Lead Instructional Coach on Sep 19, 2019
Arcadia Private School: Principal Vacancy on Sep 9, 2019